Home offices are a mainstay in many households. Unfortunately, some of these rooms transform into storage areas rather than useable spaces. Organizing your home office is essential to creating a functional work area. It is also important to know how to decorate the office in the right amount that can help keep you motivated without causing distractions. Get a head start with five easy steps to transform your office space.
- Get paper under control. Before you can decorate your home office, you must get rid of old paperwork. Also get into the habit of discarding and filing on a regular basis, preferably in the morning as well as at the end of the day.
- Utilize a regular system to prevent paper pile-ups. If you don’t have room for a filing cabinet, buy a few binders to better organize your papers. Get creative by choosing a variety of colors to match your décor.
- Show off your books. Your desk may be piled with reference books because you use them on a regular basis. Instead, place your books in a convenient location all while adding an accent to the office. Hang a wooden shelf on the wall to place your books on or place them on an accessible shelf on top of the desk with bookends to hold the materials in place.
- Have the right furniture and accents. Working in a home office doesn’t mean you are doomed to spend eternity in a plain black swivel chair. Find funky furniture that is both comfortable and enjoyable, whether it is in a unique color or material. An animal print chair for reading is another way to spruce up the office.
- Create centers. Chaos quickly takes over home offices when there aren’t clearly established areas for performing various tasks. A computer area should be separate from filing and reference areas, and you shouldn’t keep office supplies on top of your desk. If you need extra space, hang decorative shelves on the walls to create more room for your office essentials.